Full polymer silicone leather waterproofingScroll down to read more
High performance leather waterproofing begins at the wet-end of the tanning process. Our Densodrin® and Densotan® solutions are trusted and proven, and our latest additions – Densodrin® Polymeric Generation and polymeric Densotan® – enable tanners to improve their environmental footprint while delivering the same high-performance leather waterproofing customers expect.
Stahl Densodrin® Polymeric Generation with polymeric Densotan®
Meet our newest leather waterproofing products: Densodrin® Polymeric Generation and polymeric Densotan® that together transform leather waterproofing. This is because they work every bit as well as conventional water-soluble waxes and silicones – but have a much lower environmental impact.
The result is the first 100% polymer silicone waterproofing solution. Employing Densodrin® Polymeric Generation with the polymeric Densotan® auxiliary, the Stahl Full Polymeric Waterproofing Process enables tanners and shoe manufacturers to benefit from full polymeric neutralization, re-tanning and waterproofing.
Significant environmental benefits
Using Densodrin® Polymeric Generation with polymeric Densotan® has much lower impact on the environment:
- Close to 100% fixation reduces related untreated effluents load
- 60% less chemical oxygen demand than conventional waterproofing
- 60% less biochemical oxygen demand over five days than conventional waterproofing
- 50% less salt than conventional waterproofing
Same or better waterproofing performance
Yet despite being better for the environment, Densodrin® Polymeric Generation with polymeric Densotan® delivers the same or better waterproofing as the best conventional agents:
- Densodrin® Polymeric Generation with polymeric Densotan® outperforms conventional waterproofing in tear strength, tensile strength and stich tear
- Matches conventional waterproofing on water vapor permeability (breathability) and static water uptake
Process benefits for tanners
Switching to a full-polymeric solution brings production and process benefits too. These include less frequent equipment cleaning, higher yields because polymer silicones fill blemishes and thicken hides, a reduction in processing time of up to 30%, and lower energy bills through lower temperatures (40-45 OC vs 60-65 OC) and fewer washes.
Brand benefits for tanners and shoe manufacturers
Switching to a full-polymeric solution also brings brand and marketing benefits:
- High-performance waterproofing
- Better color fastness and greater resistance to fading
- Same breathability properties as our other Densodrin® and Densotan® products
- ZDHC-compliant and free of PFCs to benefit the sustainable supply chain
- Potential for environmental claims
Standard and high waterproof performance with Densodrin® EP, HP and DP
Densodrin® EP and HP for high waterproof performance and Densodrin® DP for standard waterproof performance are polymer based fat-liquors with special emulsifier systems containing silicone.
Stahl: the world #1 in waterproofing and water-resistance
Stahl is taking polymeric waterproofing to a new level with Densodrin® Polymeric Generation and polymeric Densotan®, enabling tanners to produce waterproof leathers via a completely polymeric waterproofing process. No other company can offer this.
With the incorporation of BASF’s Leather Chemicals division and Densodrin® and Densotan® brands, Stahl today offers the broadest and most advanced range of waterproofing products on the market.
Are you looking for more information?
Please get in touch with your relevant contact within Stahl: