The highest performance in coated fabrics
Textiles and fabrics are used in a variety of high-performance functions. We use them to protect ourselves from the elements, to improve our lives, increase safety and for technical applications in industrial processes. In pushing materials to new performance standards and creating new possibilities, Stahl provides full service with tailor-made performance coatings for fabrics.
Innovative coatings for textile materials
From tarpaulin on trucks, industrial applications in isolation and filtering, advertising on billboards and banners to high-performance outdoor gear, we use textiles in the most rigorous circumstances. The market is constantly looking for ways to get more out of material and in particular fabrics are now able to serve us on remarkable levels. Not just in performance and properties but in environmental standards as well, thanks to cleaner production and lower impact. This means, to find your cutting edge on a market that consistently moves towards new possibilities, tailor-made excellence is an added value. This is what Stahl provides for woven, non-woven and knitted fabrics in a wide variety of applications, by offering a full service portfolio to bring your product to the next innovative level.
Service from formulation to testing and prototyping
To help you get the best possible performance, meeting the exact standards you require, we offer a wide range of technologies and solutions, combined with our in-depth expertise, with a partnership-as-service method. Thanks to expansive in-house testing facilities and small-scale production at our globally located Centers of Excellence, we provide product support and development assistance from start to finish. By working side-by-side on custom product solutions, we can provide tried and tested product advice. Combining our years of hands-on experience in the treatment of materials and our specialist solutions with your product expertise, we are able bring your products to new heights and meet the ever-increasing performance challenges.
Industry coverage of our textile technologies
Our solutions serve a wide range of industries: we provide products for mobility, outdoor & lifestyle, interior design, industrial & protective and exterior application, but can provide custom solutions for many other applications.
Finishes and bonding agents for PVC-based tarpaulins and truck covers, various (non) flame retardant coatings for airbags, trunk roll-covers, motor-hood insulation applications, safety belts, air filters, car booth covers, upholstery and seating material. Water- and oil repellent finishes for both woven and non-woven substrates (booth covering, safety belts or seating).
- Outdoor & lifestyle
Different types of coatings and finishes (repellents and performance enhancers) for rainwear, sportswear, sport shoe components, paragliders, hot air balloons, parachutes, climbing ropes, tents, luggage, bags, accessories, etc.
- Interior design
Stahl’s interior products are mainly used in window decoration (pleaded blinds, rollo's, blackouts, etc.), which often need to be flame retardant. Another application field is textile upholstery (halogen free flame retardant back coating + repellent finishes) but also mattress covers. Plus water-based finishes for PVC flooring.
- Industrial & Protective
This is a market segment where Stahl’s technology fulfills many different applications, which need to meet various, and mostly severe requirements. Most of the coatings for these applications involve flame retardant properties. Stahl coatings and finishes are used for industrial protective gloves, shoes, protective clothing, bellows, mediatex, fire retardant apparel and fabrics, filtration, conveyor belting, insulation, (mine) ducting, hook & loop, ropes, fire hoses, different military applications, etc.
- Exterior Application
Stahl is very active in this market segment with UV-resistant coatings and lacquers for many different kind of PVC-coated substrates, like tarpaulins, billboards, awnings, architectural structures, roofing and tents. But also coatings and finishes for non-PVC based materials, like awnings, tents, boat covers, tarps, mediatex, sun-screens, blinds, upholstery for garden furniture, etc.
A number of our solutions for coated fabrics and technical textiles are part of the Stahl EVO® product portfolio. These next generation polyurethanes are compliant with the Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) and Manufacturing Restricted Substance List (MRSL).
Coated Fabrics portfolio overview
For the coating and treatment of technical textiles, Stahl provides water-based and solvent-based technologies. Through our partnership-as-service model, we work side-by-side with you to meet product demands These high-quality solutions are only a small selection from our technology portfolio:
Our Permutex® portfolio meets and often exceeds industry regulations, with a wide variety of qualities and applications, which provides the best in PU-technology.
- Permutex® EVO RU-92-213: A 60% solids cosolvent-free polyether-based polyurethane dispersion. Designed to be easily mechanically foamable. The very stable foam has high resilient capacity.
- Permutex® EVO RU-92-400: A very soft, 50% solids, polyester PUR dispersion. It has excellent adhesion to synthetics with a very soft, slightly sticky handle. RU-92-400 is an excellent formulating binder with very stable till low pH and high loading properties for FR additives.
- Permutex® EVO RU-13-737: Very soft, polyether-based PUR dispersion for the impregnation/finishing of textiles. Either used alone or in combination with softeners and/or antistatic agents it can improve handling, wash resistance and mechanical properties like abrasion or tear strength.
- Permutex®EVO RU-92-409: This medium soft aliphatic polyester-based polyurethane dispersion is suitable for general use. A basic polymer for direct coating or impregnation of synthetic and natural textiles/fabrics. Very flexible with good adhesion to polyester and plasticizer resistant and equipped with excellent ink receptive properties.
Flame retardants portfolio:
We offer a complete range of flame retardant building blocks with polymer dispersions and additives.
- Eagleban™ FRA-4311: A highly effective, durable flame retardant for all types of fibers. FRA-4311 is an intumescent flame retardant, which imparts flame retardancy by forming a char, rather than affecting the melt properties of the substrate. An excellent choice for barrier-type uses.
- Eagleban™ FRA-9320: A durable, non-fogging and highly effective, phosphorous-based liquid fire retardant additive. Designed for the use in automotive flame retardant coatings and various other applications. As addition to solvent-borne or high-solid PU systems, FRA-9320 is a good starting point for fire retardant formulations.
- Eagleban™ FRA-9551: A hydroxyl-functional, oligomeric phosphate/phosphonate ester, suitable for cellulosic based textiles or blends with synthetic. FRA-9551 can be made durable/semi-durable to laundering when crosslinked.
Crosslinkers and performance additives portfolio:
We believe in the power of an extensive crosslinkers and performance additives portfolio that meet market demands and outperform on customer’s needs.
- Permutex® XR-5580: 2-stage reactive polycarbodiimide crosslinker for optimum resistance properties.
- Permutex® XR-22-903: Very high reactive DMP blocked isocyanate to be used as crosslinker or as booster for FC finishes.
- Permutex® WR 43-064: Very effective, wash-durable fluorine free water repellent (DWR), providing excellent water repelling performance for various textile applications.
Global Market Manager Coated Fabrics & Flame Retardants
Documents & Downloads
Documents & Downloads
Want to know more? Download the relevant documents right here. Please note that authorization is required for Technical Data Sheets. Enter your details, hit submit and once approved we will send your information by email.
Your selected downloads:
No downloads selected
Jan TerrasGlobal Market Manager Coated Fabrics & Flame Retardants
Are you looking for more information?
Please get in touch with your relevant contact within Stahl: